- Sprayed foam insulation provides high R-values and perfect air sealing, for increased comfort and dramatically reduced heating and cooling loads.
- Fully insulated attic eliminates heat loss and optimizes the efficiency of the HVAC system, as all ductwork runs through insulated spaces.
- High-performance Marvin windows with argon-gas filled, insulated, Low-E glass complete the energy-efficient building envelope.
- High-performance Marvin™ windows with argon-gas filled, Low-E insulated glass.
- Elk Prestique Cool-Color™ roofing shingles are coated with granules that deflect the sun’s heat, reducing the amount of energy needed for cooling.
- Solar orientation calculated to maximize daylight, admit the sun’s warmth in winter, and prevent unwanted solar gain in summer.
- Geothermal heating and cooling system burns no fossil fuels while providing outstanding comfort year-round, with zero CO2 emissions.
- All joints in ductwork are tightly sealed to eliminate air leakage and increase efficiency.
- All hot and cold water lines are fully insulated to save energy.
- An on-demand hot water recirculating system, activated by motion sensors in each bath room, provides hot water where you need it, when you need it, without the high energy consumption of continuously running conventional recirculating systems.
- Dual-flush toilets and efficient plumbing design conserve thousands of gallons of water per year.
- EnergyStar lighting and appliances further increase the home’s energy efficiency.
- The electricity for this house is purchased from Sterling Planet (www.sterlingplanet.com), a provider of clean, renewable energy, under the CT CleanEnergyOptions program. The power comes from equal parts wind, small-scale hydro, and organic bioenergy (landfill gas).